Saturday, April 27, 2013

A little of this and a little of that

I worked on the field discing for about a wheat and then our good friend offered to come for a couple of days and finish it. We disced 3 acres and with a old style borrowed seed grain we planted 3 acres of wheat. Now we are starting plowing another 2.5 acres that will be for corn and other animal and people food crops. Weeding will be a major task this summer, but in some of these fields I will leave a rotortiller sized spacing for easier weed control.

I have been slowly transplanting cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower. Frankly my seedlings do not look great. Their root development is fantastic but their leaf growth is slow. I switched seed companies and am using new varieties. My tomatoes are just coming up and I am feeling a little nervous. I keep telling myself that I usually feel nervous so this is normal. We have had such a warm spring that everything feels out of whack.

I have not planted anything else in the main garden, but in the coming week we will begin tilling again to prepare for planting. With the weather being extra warm, I plan to direct seed many items that I often start in the greenhouse. I also started another box of garlic. We never seem to have enough garlic considering we use so much for the animals.

The turkey's new house was built yesterday except for the roof. We had to order the metal for the roof. It should be done next week. It looks like one of the turky hens may be brooding a nest. What a blessing that would be.


No comments:

Post a Comment